Reports To: Director of Sales
Full-time, including weekends
The Box Office Manager helps deliver on the CSO’s mission and vision of engaging audiences and community better than any other orchestra in the world, by delivering excellent customer service, deepening patron engagement, and cultivating a high-performance culture in the box office. The Box Office Manager has an eye toward continual process improvement; models the highest possible patron service and sales; leverages existing tools (Tessitura, T-Stats, etc.) to recommend and make good business decisions; and works collaboratively with internal and external constituencies to align positively around organizational objectives. This position also requires a willingness to learn, to embrace industry best practices, and to approach our work with an innovative, forward-leaning bent.
* Hire, supervise and provide ongoing training to part-time Patron Service Representatives (PSRs) and Lead PSRs in order to maintain a well-informed, high-producing sales floor
* Maintain PSR shift schedule and update on a monthly basis
* Determines Box Office procedures and policies
* Manage budgets; determine appropriate incentives for PSRs; provide ongoing budget projections
* Develop contest and incentives for PSRs to improve sales and conversions and create a high-producing, patron-centered sales floor
* Organize annual or semi-annual group trainings prior to CSO/Pops season announcements and the start of CSO/Pops Music Hall season
* Ensure superior customer service to all patrons; resolve patron problems (CSIs) in a prompt manner
* Manage the box office 1-2 concerts per weekend at Music Hall and at most Riverbend Pops concerts
* Work closely with the Director of Sales and Marketing team on developing special offers and disseminating information
* Maintain special offers and concert information in ticketing system; update regularly
* Assist Director of Sales with ticketing set-up in Tessitura (ticket text, price types, etc.)
* Assist various departments with preparations for special events and engagement activities
* Manage preparation for special single ticket mailings that require special letters or inserts
* Supervise Lead PSRs in completing weekly box office tasks for opening and closing the box office and delegate projects
* Assist in the timely and accurate subscription preparation and processing for CSO, Pops, Lollipops Family Concerts, CSO Chamber Players, May Festival, Vocal Arts Ensemble and World Piano Competition, especially during high-volume times of year
* Oversee community ticketing initiatives
* Leverage industry resources and connections (INTIX, etc.) for best practices and process improvements
* Ensure integrity of daily balancing and handling of all payments as well as the confidentiality, proper handling, security, filing and disposal of all sensitive materials in accordance with company standards
* Provide support for busy phone times
* Other duties as assigned
* At least 2-3 years customer service experience; box office experience highly desirable
* Innate curiosity, adaptability, willingness to learn, and strong leadership skills
* Stellar project management and planning skills, and verbal/written communication skills and the confidence to communicate results to various constituencies
* Ability to represent the CSO in a professional manner
* Thrives in an extremely fast-paced environment and can process information on the fly
* Ability to see the big picture and opportunities, while successfully executing detailed plans
* Proven effectiveness in working cross-functionally and collaboratively
* Experience with effectively managing people
* Bachelor’s degree
* Some knowledge of classical and/or choral music preferred; non-profit or performing arts experience a plus
* Experience with Tessitura database a big plus
* Data analysis skills a plus
Company Description: The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is a dynamic ensemble of some of the world’s finest musicians. The CSO is the umbrella organization for the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra; together, the Orchestra presents more than 100+ concerts and events annually. A thriving organization with a growing support base of audiences and contributors, the CSO is the cornerstone of the Cincinnati arts community and an anchor cultural institution in the city. Music Hall, the CSO’s performance home, is on the National Historic Register, and is located in the historic and vibrant Over-the-Rhine neighborhood, increasingly known for its burgeoning artisan and “maker culture,” which the CSO proudly celebrates.
The fifth oldest symphony in the United States, the CSO has achieved international critical acclaim and an operating budget that consistently places it among America’s top 10 orchestras. The CSO serves as an ambassador for Greater Cincinnati to the world through national and international tours and an extensive Grammy-winning recording catalog, with over 10 million recordings sold worldwide. At home, the CSO was rated #1 in customer satisfaction and value among all Greater Cincinnati arts and entertainment venues, according to a 2010 independent study conducted by Northern Kentucky University.
The CSO celebrates diversity! We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity, Minority, Female, Disabled, Veteran Employer.
Please send cover letter, resume and compensation requirements to:
Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra
1241 Elm Street
Cincinnati, OH 45202
Or via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please put “Box Office Manager” in the subject line.
No third party applications will be accepted.